IHO Technical Standards
The IHO technical Working Groups, Project Teams and Correspondence Groups conduct the work under the guidance of the HYDROGRAPHIC SERVICES AND STANDARDS COMMITTEE (HSSC). Please see the HSSC page for additional information on the technical standards development activities of the Organization.
Technical Standards for ENC & ECDIS
The IHO has developed technical standards related to the production and distribution of ENCs, and their portrayal in Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS). These Standards include;
- S-52 - Specifications for Chart Content and Display Aspects of ECDIS (including its components);
- S-57 - IHO Transfer Standard for Digital Hydrographic Data (including is components);
- S-58 - ENC Validation Checks;S-62 - List of Data Producer Codes;
- S-63 - IHO Data Protection Scheme
- S-64 - IHO Test Data Sets for ECDIS;
- S-65 - ENCs: Production, Maintenance and Distribution Guidance;S-66 - Facts about Electronic Charts and Carriage Requirements;
IHO S-57, S-52 and S-63 are specified in the IMO Performance Standards for ECDIS.
A list of latest editions of ECDIS systems that use these standards is available here.
S-100 Universal Hydrographic Data Model
The IHO has developed the S-100 Universal Hydrographic Data Model to cater for future demands for digital products and services. A list of S-100 based product specifications is a available from the S-100 web pages.
The S-100 Geospatial Information Registry contains several Registers containing managed lists of concepts, features attibutes matadata and other resources used to develop product specifications.