SOUS-COMITE DE LA GEBCO SUR LES NOMS DES FORMES DU RELIEF SOUS-MARIN (SCUFN)
|Chair:||Dr Hyun-Chul HAN (KIGAM, Rep. of Korea)|
|Vice-Chair:||Dr Yasuhiko OHARA (JODC, Japan)|
|Secretary:||Assistant Director Yves GUILLAM (IHO Secretariat)|
The objectives of the Sub-Committee are to;
- select undersea feature names define when appropriate the extent of named features;
- provide advice to individuals and appropriate authorities on the selection of undersea feature names in international waters and, on request, in waters under national jurisdiction
- encourage the establishment of national boards of geographical names and undersea features, and when such a board does not exist for a given coastal state, co-operate in the naming of seafloor features related to those national waters;
- prepare and maintain international gazetteers and supplements of undersea feature names;
- encourage the use of undersea feature names shown on GEBCO products, on other maps, charts, scientific publications, and documents by promulgating them widely;
- prepare and maintain internationally agreed guidelines for the standardization of undersea feature names and encourage their use;
- review and address the need for revised or additional terms and definitions for submarine topographic features.
- maintain close liaison with the UN Group of Experts on Geographical Names and international or national authorities concerned with the naming of undersea features.
Dernière modification: 12/07/2022 - 13:43