World Hydrography Day
Celebrated on 21 June, World Hydrography Day is designed to raise awareness about hydrography and how it plays a role in improved knowledge of the seas and oceans.
The theme this year is "Hydrographic Information - Enhancing Safety, Efficiency and Sustainability in Marine Activities".
In consideration of the on-going transformation in navigation, such as e-navigation, autonomous shipping, reduction of emissions, which lead to a profound evolution of hydrographic services, and in a context of high demands for digital data, the IHO is committed to,
- Deliver standards for hydrographic data and specifications of hydrographic products; support their regular production; and coordinate regional and global services for their provision.
- Develop standards, specifications, and guidelines in the areas of data assurance, including cyber security and data quality assessment.
- Use capacity building and training to develop and increase the ability of Member States to support safety, efficiency and sustainability of maritime navigation.
- Motivate the maritime community including international organizations, academia, and industry to contribute actively to the development and use of new standardized maritime data products and services.
- Become more responsive to the current world-wide interest for a sustainable ocean.
- Invite broader outreach to non-navigation users of hydrographic data to global policy drivers including conservation, climate, hazard mitigation, and others.
The IHO Secretariat would like to create new videos highlighting these different aspects. Member States who are interested and able to assist with the technical production of videos are invited to contact the Secretariat.
In support of WHD 2024, the IHO Secretariat will also feed the IHO Facebook page, Twitter account, LinkedIn account and YouTube channel. The IHO Secretariat will also organize a dedicated page on the IHO website, where papers and other materials relevant to the celebration will be posted.
Member States are invited to forward to the Secretariat any materials that they may create in support of their national WHD 2024 celebrations for posting on any of these platforms. Alternatively, contributors are invited to post on their own social media outlets and tag the IHO who will then share. Suggested hashtags include #WorldHydrographyDay and #WHD
The Secretariat takes this opportunity to thank all of those Member States who have already contributed through ideas, advice and materials to this important process.
Choose a subject
Last modified: 15/01/2024 - 15:55