What is the IHO S-100 Standard?
The S-100 Standard is a framework document that is intended for the development of digital products and services for hydrographic, maritime and GIS communities. It comprises multiple parts that are based on the geospatial standards developed by the International Organization for Standardization, Technical Committee 211 (ISO/TC211).
The latest edition of S-100 Standard can be downloaded from the IHO Standards and Specifications Download Page.
How Frequently is the S-100 Standard Updated?
The IHO S-100 Working Group (responsible for maintaining the Standard) recognizes that the standard must evolve in order to cater for new user community requirements and has developed a planned revision cycle for the Standard. User communities are invited to submit proposals for corrections and/or extensions to the standard, for inclusion in the next planned edition. The planned publication schedule for the S-100 Standard is decided by the Hydrographic Services and Standards Committee (HSSC) and is accessible through the Work Plan and S-100 implementation strategy.
S-100 Dependent Product Specification Numbers
In order to manage the development of S-100 based products; and with a view to minimizing duplication and encouraging conformity, the IHO Hydrographic Services and Standards Committee (HSSC) allocates S-1XX numbers to be used for the development of S-100 dependent products developed by the IHO. The S-101 to S-199 number range has been allocated for IHO product development. Higher number ranges have been allocated for use by other organizations. A range of S-100 product numbers are provided below:
- International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) (S-101 to S-199)
- International Association of Light Authorities (IALA) (S-201 to S-299)
- Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) (S-301 to S-399)
- Inland ENC Harmonization Group (IEHG) (S-401 to S-402)
- WMO Services Commission (SERCOM) (S-411 to S412)
- International Electrotechnical Commission - Technical Committee 80 (IEC-TC80) Numbers (S-421 to S-430)
- NATO Geospatial Maritime Working Group (GMWG) for Additional Military Layers (AML) Numbers (S-501 to 525)
A full list of S-100 based product specifications can be founded at S-100 based Product Specification.
More About S-100
Last modified: 20/05/2022 - 11:42