ENC Data Protection
The IHO Data Protection Scheme defines security constructs and operating procedures that must be followed by Data Servers (providers of data) Data Clients (systems that use the data).
The purpose of data protection scheme is to provide:
1. Piracy Protection: i.e. to prevent unauthorised use of data by encrypting the ENC information.
2. Selective Access: i.e. to restrict access to ENC information to only those cells that a customer has been licenced for.
3. Authentication: i.e to provide assurance that the ENC data has come from approved sources
There are currently two IHO security schemes. The S-63 Scheme, is used for ENC's and ECDIS based on the S-57 Standard. The S-100 Scheme (currently being implemented for testing), is intended for S-100 based products (e.g. S-101, S-102 etc).
S-63 Documents and Resources
S-100 Scheme Documents and Resources
The S-100 Security Scheme is describe in Part 15 of the latest S-100 IHO Universal Hydrographic Data Model document, which is available from the IHO Document Archive.
The following associated documents and resources are a available for the schemes;
Annex A - Data Server Certificate request documents, for both schemes;
Annex B - Manufacturer information request documents, for both schemes;
IHO Top Level Certificates
- IHO S-63 Scheme Administrator Certificate - (expiry date - February 2033).
- IHO S-100 Scheme Administrator Certificate - (expiry date - September 2051)
- S-63 Test Data Set (for scheme implementors)
- S-63 Guidance Notes - developed to assist both OEMs data servers implement the S-63 security system.